Is the police report for your car accident wrong? You may be able to have the police report corrected. Here, learn the basics on how to do this.

How to Correct Mistakes in a Police Report Following Your Car Accident

Blog Category:
Comments (0)

A police report can be helpful when you need to file a claim for compensation following a car accident caused by another driver. It can contain important information, such as contact information for the negligent driver and his insurance company, a narration of how the crash occurred, and the police officer’s conclusions as to who was at fault. However, police officers can sometimes make mistakes on a police report. Here’s what you can do when you were injured in a car accident and you find errors in your police report.

How to Correct Errors in Your Police Report

A police report can be strong evidence that you can use to convince the insurance adjuster for the negligent driver of his liability in causing the crash. It can be less helpful or even damaging to your claim if it contains errors. If you find mistakes in the police report, you can ask the appropriate police department to correct it.

However, there are two types of errors in police reports. The type of error that you are trying to correct can affect how easy it will be to convince the officer to correct it. The types of errors in these reports are:

  • Mistake of fact. A mistake of fact is a factual mistake that is easily verified and corrected. These include misspellings of your name, the wrong vehicle make, or other errors where you can provide documentation of the mistake when you ask the officer to amend the police report. These mistakes are more easily corrected.
  • Errors in judgment. When a police officer makes an error in judgment, such as claiming that you were speeding or failed to yield, your options to get the report corrected are more limited. Unless you have concrete information, you may not be able to convince the officer to correct the police report. However, it is still a good idea to discuss the mistake with the officer and provide whatever information you have that shows a mistake was made.

If you are unable to correct a police report, you may be able to have your version of events added to it. When you need to correct a report or add a statement to it, you should retain an experienced car accident attorney for assistance in doing this. He can handle the communications with the police officer and ensure that your statement is as complete as possible.

It is also important to keep in mind that errors in a police report will not ruin your case. Your attorney may be able to obtain other evidence that strengthens your position, such as an accident reconstruction expert report that provides more details about the cause of your crash.

If you need assistance in fighting for the compensation you deserve following a car accident, our experienced car accident attorneys are here to help. Start learning about your legal options by calling our office today to schedule your free case evaluation.

Category: Car Accidents


There are no comments.

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "Correcting Errors in a Police Report After a Car Accident"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.