Is there mold lurking in your child’s toys? Find out how which children’s products are likely to contain mold and how to prevent mold-related illness.

How dangerous is mold growing in bath and teething toys?

 

A:

danger of mold on baby toysNew parents know just how hard it is to keep a child warm and dry. Runny noses, diaper changes, and drooling during teething make it necessary to keep absorbent cloths handy at all times. Unfortunately, liquids can often run over and into products that are otherwise baby-safe, increasing the risk of mold growth on children’s favorite toys.

Liquids, Bathwater, and Even Drool Can Cause Mold Growth on Toys

Mold can cause a number of serious injuries in infants and children. The Institute of Medicine (IOM) has found sufficient evidence to link indoor mold exposure to breathing conditions such as asthma, coughing, wheezing, and symptoms of upper respiratory infections. The agency also confirmed that indoor mold exposure was more likely to lead to respiratory illnesses in otherwise healthy children than in children who were not similarly exposed. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) have also linked mold to a variety of health issues, including respiratory problems, eye irritation, and skin reactions.

Children’s products that are likely to grow mold usually have holes or unsealed seams, allowing water to enter but not exit. These products can include:

  • Teething toys. Popular teething toy Sophie the Giraffe has come under fire for its potential to grow mold on the inside. Parents are instructed not to submerge the toy in water, and to clean the surface of the teether regularly using hot, soapy water.
  • Bath toys. There are many bathtime dangers for children, and that includes moldy bath toys. Toys that are improperly emptied may contain small amount of water and bacteria that foster mold growth. Most bath toys are dishwasher safe, but those that aren’t can be cleaned by submerging them in a solution of water and white vinegar and letting them dry in a well-ventilated area for 24 hours.
  • Other toys. Sippy cups regularly hold juices and beverages that can spoil as they become trapped inside the device. Cups and dishes should be disassembled after use and washed on high heat in the dishwasher. If any foul smells or evidence of trapped liquids remains after washing, the dish should be replaced.

Remember: any toy that comes into contact with water, food, or drool can become moldy. It is a good idea to inspect toys regularly for signs of mold, wiping down your children’s favorite toys with baby cleaning wipes at least once a week. If your child was injured by an unsafe product, call our offices today to schedule an appointment with an experienced Seattle kids safety attorney.