If you were injured in a hit and run car accident, you have options to obtain compensation for your injuries. Find out where you can file a claim here.

How can I get compensation for my injuries in a hit and run accident?



In Washington State, it is a crime for a driver involved in a car accident to leave the scene when a victim has been injured or killed. Unfortunately, some motorists violate this law when they know they caused the crash. If you are the victim of a hit and run accident, it can be difficult to obtain compensation for your injuries, but you do have options.

Sources of Compensation in Hit and Run Accidents

Drivers flee the scene of auto collisions for many reasons, such as being intoxicated, driving on a suspended or revoked driver’s license, or not having car insurance as required under state law. If you are the victim of a hit and run accident, you should immediately contact the police and report your collision. You will need the police report when filing a claim with the insurance company. In addition, they may investigate your crash and be able to locate and charge the at-fault driver. However, in some cases, it may be impossible to locate him.

The sources of compensation available to you will depend on whether or not the person who caused your injuries is identified, but there are other options. Possible sources of compensation include:

  • Negligent driver. If you are able to locate the driver either through a police investigation or the help of an experienced car accident attorney, you can file a claim with his insurance company.
  • Restitution. The police could charge the person with a crime if they locate him. As part of his sentence, you may be able to ask that he be ordered to pay your out-of-pocket medical expenses, lost wages, and damages to your vehicle as restitution to you.
  • Uninsured motorist coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage is an optional insurance coverage in Washington State that provides a source of compensation if you were hit by an uninsured driver or were involved in a hit and run accident and cannot locate the driver. If you purchased it, you can file a claim with your own insurance company for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering up to your policy limits. Unfortunately, you cannot trust your insurance company to treat you fairly. To protect yourself, you should retain a lawyer to negotiate your settlement with them.
  • Collision coverage. If you purchased collision coverage—usually required if you financed your vehicle purchase—you can make a claim for reimbursement for the cost to repair your vehicle.

Contact Our Experienced Car Accident Attorneys for Assistance

If you or a family member was injured in a hit and run accident in the Seattle area, our skilled car accident lawyers are here to help you identify all possible sources of compensation and file a claim on your behalf so that you receive what you are entitled to in your settlements. To schedule a free consultation to discuss your situation, call our office or fill out our online form.