Another boater crashed into your boat and you noticed he was intoxicated. Knowing what to do immediately after the accident will pay off down the road.

What should I do if an intoxicated boater crashes into me?



Spending summer Sundays aboard your boat on Lake Washington is your favorite family activity. This past Sunday, the weather was nice, the sun was shining, and you couldn’t have asked for a better day, until you were attempting to dock your boat.

You were just about settled into your slip, when another boat crashed into you. Obviously you were not prepared and were completely shocked, but once you got your bearings, you began to talk to the other boater. The alcohol on his breath and the way he slurred his words alerted you to his intoxication.

What Should You Do?

Not only can boating while intoxicated result in hefty fines and jail time, it also causes accidents, such as yours. Knowing what to do at the time of the accident will allow you to protect yourself and your family in the future. Take the following steps immediately following a boating accident:

  • Alert the Coast Guard. Call the Coast Guard as soon as possible after the accident occurs. Inform the officer that the boater who struck you is possibly intoxicated. An officer will likely visit the accident scene and interview the boater, who may receive an arrest and/or charges for boating under the influence.
  • Ask the boater for insurance information. Just like you would if you were involved in an automobile accident, you should obtain the boater’s insurance information. Typically, boats are covered under the boater’s homeowners’ insurance policy. The boater may also have secondary liability insurance that covers what the homeowners’ does not.
  • Seek medical attention. Even if you aren’t sure you’re injured, you should still visit an emergency room. Your injuries may not show up until a few days after the accident, and seeking medical attention now may prevent them from becoming too serious. It also starts a medical record that may be useful if you decide to make a claim against the driver.

Next, Contact a Lawyer

If you want to hold the person who caused you pain and suffering responsible for his negligence, we want to help. Contact the Andrew Kim Law Firm today to speak with a legal professional about your situation and find out how we can help.