Your child was injured and is complaining of a sore shoulder. Could he have a broken collarbone? Here, we discuss the symptoms.

Signs Your Child May Have a Broken Collarbone

When your relatives from Oregon came up to visit you in Seattle, you were excited to show them the sights and sounds of your city, and took them to your favorite spots, including restaurants, stores, and plenty of parks.

Your son was most excited to show his cousins his favorite toy shop. They raced to the second floor of the store to see the kite section, and on their way back down, your son’s foot was caught in a hole in the rug at the top of the stairs. He then tumbled down the steps and landed on his shoulder.

Did Your Child Break His Collarbone?

Collarbone injuries can occur when a person lands on his shoulder or with his arm stretched out. Although they often heal without many complications, they need treatment as soon as possible. Take your child to a doctor immediately if:

  • Swelling, bruising, or tenderness is present along the collarbone area.
  • Your child’s shoulder is slumping or sagging forward and down.
  • You feel a bulge or deformity in the collarbone; this is likely where the break occurred.
  • Your child feels or hears a grinding or cracking sensation or noise when trying to raise his arm.
  • Your child feels increased pain when raising his arm or moving his shoulder.

The sooner you receive a diagnosis of a fractured clavicle, the sooner your child can receive treatment. Clavicles typically heal anywhere between three and six weeks after the break, but some more complicated breaks may require surgery and an extended recovery time.

We May Be Able to Help

If your child’s fractured collarbone was the result of someone else’s mistake, you may be entitled to receive compensation. You’ll likely have medical bills now and in the future because of the injury, and the Andrew Kim Law Firm wants to help you get the benefits you are entitled to that will pay for these fees. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation to speak with a legal professional about your situation.